Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Farmer's Share of Retail Food Dollar



Did you know that farmers and ranchers receive
only 20 cents of every food dollar that
consumers spend on food at home and away from home?



According to USDA, off farm costs including marketing,
processing, wholesaling, distribution and
retailing account for 80 cents of every food dollar
spent in the United States.


Bacon
1 Pound
Retail: $2.99
Farmer: $0.42

Top Sirloin Steak
1 pound
Retail: $7.99
Farmer: $0.80


Bread
1 Pound
Retail: $2.99
Farmer: $0.12


Fresh Carrots
2 pounds
Retail: $2.99
Farmer: $0.76


Beer
6-Pack Cans
Retail: $5.69
Farmer: $0.11


Cereal
18 ounce Box
Retail: $4.49
Farmer: $0.09


Cheddar Cheese
1 Pound
Retail: $5.79
Farmer: 1.59


Eggs
1 Dozen
Retail: $3.99
Farmer: $1.00


Flour
5 Pounds
Retail: $2.89
Farmer: $0.62


Boneless Ham
Price per pound
Retail: $4.29
Farmer: $0.42


Lettuce
1 Head
Retail: $1.99
Farmer: $0.44


Milk
1 Gallon, Fat Free
Retail: $3.75
Farmer: $1.27


Potato Chips
Lay's Classic, 13.5 oz.
Retail: $3.99
Farmer:$0.07


Fresh Potatoes
Russet, 10 pounds
Retail: $3.99
Farmer: $0.77


Soda
Two Liter Bottle
Retail: $1.49
Farmer: $0.07


I just wanted everyone to recognize the fact that the farmer’s share of the retail food dollar is not responsible for your lighter wallets at the checkout!! Would love to hear from you .....let me know if you realized how little the farmer actually received!!
Farmchick


Farmer’s share derived from USDA, NASS ”Agricultural Prices,” 2008.
Retail based on Safeway (SE) brand except where noted.

Pin It!

33 sweet chicks commented here:

Connie said...

I know the little farmer doesn't get much, honey, but we're praying for ya to get more. I don't know how you do it year after year. It's so sad to see our farmers sell out to housing developments! Happens her and in California.
SMooches,
Connie

Mama Bear said...

Wow - that's incredible. Learn something every day I guess, huh.

Kudos to you guys for keeping it up though - I'm a Cdn chick who lives in an apartment and desperately longs to be on the farm.

Coloradolady said...

Oh, gosh. I knew it was not much, but I had no idea it was this little. That is a shame....a real shame. What can be done? Anything?

Come by for a visit....I am hosting a new photo meme for the month of February...you might like to show some love too!

Have a great day!

Maria said...

That is unbelievable!! Along with CRAZY! Doesn't the government realize the Farmer is what sustains the people????

Carolyn (Harbor Hon) said...

That's exactly the reason I support our local Farmer's Market. That way I know the produce is fresh and someone cared about growing it. And believe me, I eat a lot of produce. Thanks for sharing this post. xxoo

carolyn at cranberry crossings: said...

Holy cow! I did not know this! It seems so shameful that the very ones who work so hard to provide these goods gets so little out of it! I'm so glad you posted about this. It is a real eye opener!
Bless you all for what you do!
Enjoy the rest of your week!

vivian said...

I live in a farming community so i was pretty aware of that.. I just cant get over the cost of anything at the grocery store.. it makes me so mad.. I hate grocery shopping.
oh well its one of those things we have to do.
whatcha cooking today cookie?
hugs!
vivian

Leslie said...

Yes, I'm all too aware! LOL My grandparents were dairy farmers up until 13 years ago when they sold the farm and retired. My Dad and Mom ran the milking part of the farm for a few years when I was little and while at that time they were making good money, I know it's really gotten bad over the years. People don't realize how little farmers make out of that price increase. It's really not fair at all!

Leslie

Traci said...

I believe that this economy thing is going to help us in the long run....more and more are looking to buy LOCAL...which means the GIANTS can't continue to monopolize the industry. They can't send ALL of their stuff to the local stores....which means, they won't have anywhere to put it....so they will have to reduce their size. That is one reason why my husband doesn't farm full-time....he is also a teacher. We share crop and only made $1000 on 90 acres of wheat! For one season, just a little more than 1/3 of one month's pay as a teacher.

Beth E. said...

I, too, support our local farmer's market. It's such a shame that the farmers...who do all the work...get paid the least!

I'm am stiff and sore today...Check out my blog to see the latest stunt that happened to me!

Blessings to you and your family...

Linda said...

My dear friend's SIL and DD are dairy farmers, one of the last in our state so I knew it was pitiful. And yet look at how much the players in the super bowl make? Something is wrong with salaries in America - teachers, health care workers, farmers, law enforcement, fire fighters etc make too little and corporate big wigs make millions. SAD!

The Primitive Bucket said...

I grew up on a farm and have seen first hand how little they make, my dad struggled and still does to this day farming and ranching, but wouldn't do anything else, it's in his blood and he just can't imagine not being on the farm. Thanks for reminding everyone. Have a great day chickie!!

Katy said...

Wow...that is horrible. I knew they didn't receive alot...but wow..that is LOW. :( all that work and not much to show. :( Thank you for reminding us why the costs are going up...and where it's NOT coming from!

Twisted Fencepost said...

I know that farming is a hard life and not much money in it. Just never knew how little. And I know it is a love for the land and the lifestyle that keeps you going.
Thank you!!

Sharon said...

It is so sad that the ones who grow it are the ones who get the least pay.I too, by from local farmers markets when they out.
The products are so much better also.
To bad greed has overtaken our nation.
Hugs

Back in the Day said...

I really had no idea! Thanks for sharing!

lindanuts said...

Living here in farm country, we are very aware of how the farmers are overlooked and underpaid. We visit the farmers markets and grow much of our own. My grandparents and Mike's parents were farmers. We know how unjust it all is. My grandparents raised cattle and hogs and sheep as well as crops. It is so hard to just make ends meet.....

Train Wreck said...

I know that, it really stinks. It is a tragedy. How do they expect farmers to make it? So frustrating. I appreciate you.

KATHY OF SWEETHOME GARDENS said...

I truly realize that...our community use to have so many dairy farms but with the problem you were just talking about...there are very few.

It is sooo sad. Farmers really work hard!

Blessings,

Kathy

Sweet Blessings said...

What a great post! Being in the "beef business", we truly understand it all to well...I'm glad you took time to share it with those on the other side of the fence! Thank YOU for all your family does to produce food for all of us.... May your "farm" be blessed beyond measure this year! Sweet blessings!

Wendi said...

I remember my grandfather working full time as a plumber away from the farm. Saving all of his vacation for harvest and working every evening until dark. What a shame corporate America is so greedy!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Thanks for the info...I knew it was not MUCH as I grew up a farm girl. God Bless the American Farmers!!!!

Train Wreck said...

Just checkin on you Farm girl?!

Marilyn said...

Unbelievable!

Where are you....

Kay said...

Yes, GF we know that, don't we? I wish there was a way to take all that money the crooked politicians/financial lords got recently & spread it to those of us who are FEEDING THE WORLD!

(sorry--)

At least we know if the economy totally goes to pot, we can feed ourselves and our families. I wonder about those in the cities, what will they do if there is a disaster?

Off my soapbox now. HUGGERS!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Great post!

Happy Heifer said...

Wonderful post it is important for people to realize that. Just found your blog it is great. I am new to blogging but I am really enjoying it. My husband and I live and work on a large cattle ranch in mo.
www.happyheiferhouse.blogspot.com

Happy Heifer said...

Wonderful post it is important for people to realize that. Just found your blog it is great. I am new to blogging but I am really enjoying it. My husband and I live and work on a large cattle ranch in mo.
www.happyheiferhouse.blogspot.com

Happy Heifer said...

Wonderful post it is important for people to realize that. Just found your blog it is great. I am new to blogging but I am really enjoying it. My husband and I live and work on a large cattle ranch in mo.
www.happyheiferhouse.blogspot.com

Peach Pod said...

It isn't much better in other industries. I've written several of those big fat computer books you see at the bookstores. Retail price: 29.95, author share: 2.20!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

All I can say is Thank Goodness that John McCain, who did not vote for the farm bill, is not our current president. Family farms are responsible for our nation's food supply.

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!