Saturday, January 17, 2009

A tasty recipe for a blustery day!

When life hands you cold blustery weather........make SOUP!!!




So, the snow situation isn't getting much better here. It hasn't snowed lately but it has been so windy that all the snow we have is drifting. This makes for blocked roads. We are unable to get to town now as our county road is blocked. Even with Mr. Farmer on the tractor clearing the way it blows shut before you can get back home. As our sweet 4 year old, lil farmer, often likes to say "good times...good times!" This is what it looks like out in our neck of the woods. This picture was taken yesterday...the drifts are getting bigger and bigger now.

So, when life hands you blowing and drifting snow make a big old batch of hot and tasty soup!!! Chicken Enchilada Soup is so yummy. You really have to try it! I think most people will have all the ingredients on hand except one. Masa Harina.....(golden corn flour) you MUST go out and get some. The soup will not have the corn tortilla taste without it.(it also thickens the soup)

Chicken Enchilada Soup Ingredients
1/2 c canola oil
1/2 ts cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chicken base
2 c Masa harina
3 c Diced yellow onions

4 qt Water (divided)
2 ts Ground cumin
2 c Crushed tomatoes
2 ts chilli powder
1/2 lb Process American cheese; cut
2 ts garlic - crushed or diced
3 lbs Chicken-- Cooked and shredded ( I boiled a whole chicken but you could use chicken breasts, drumsticks, thighs or canned chicken. Your choice!

In a large pot, place oil, chicken base, onion and spices. Saute until onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes In another container, combine masa harina with 1 quart water. Stir until all lumps dissolve. Add to sauteed onions, bring to boil. Once mixture starts to bubble, continue cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Coooking the masa harina will eliminate any raw taste from masa harina. Add remaining 3 quarts water to pot. Add tomatoes; let mixture return to boil stirring occasionally. Add cheese to soup. Cook stirring occasionally, until cheese melts. Add chicken; heat through. Makes 1 1/2 gallons or 16-20 servings.

You can garnish with a few tortilla strips. To see how I make my Easy Tortilla Crisps click here or just crunch up a few tortilla chips....serve and enjoy! I hope you love it as much as we do. I suppose you could put a dollop of sour cream on but we like it just as is with a few crisps for crunch!!

Chicken Tortilla Soup...that's what's for supper in

Famchick's Kitchen

tonight!!!

I would love to hear from you so please leave me a commentand of course come back and visit soon!!!

Pin It!

33 sweet chicks commented here:

Betty said...

Wow, it would almost be worth it to put up with blowing snow for that soup! Almost!

Sounds like a good way to spend a cold day. Take care of yourself and the little farmers.

Pony Girl said...

That is so cute, "good times, good times..."! ;)
That soup looks yummy. I went on a chilly walk today (no snow though!) and could have used a bowl of that upon my return!
Have a great weekend!

Sarah said...

That soup looks yummy! Your four year old actually says "Good times, good times"? HOW ADORABLE IS THAT?! You should do a post on your kids!

Beth E. said...

That picture of yours looks like a snowy desert! Brrrr!

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I absolutely LOVE soup, and this soup looks delicious. I'll have to see if we have the masa harina around here. Picture living in the Appalachian mountains of SW Virginia, asking the grocer for this! Hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised. ;o)

Sweet Blessings said...

That recipe sounds perfect for a snowed-in dinner...thanks so much for sharing it...I can't wait to try it out...and I love your four year old's saying....maybe that should be all of our motto's each day...Good times, Good times! If only we could keep that childhood hope, magic, & stress-freeness forever! Have a wonderful weekend...may it be filled with lots of warm, family-fun, memory-making moments! Sweet blessings!

Carrie said...

That soup looks yummy!! Not very long ago I have bought some mixes from Homemade Gourmet and with one of them I got a recipe for a enchilada dip and it was delish!! I bet this would taste very similar. Will definitely need to try this one....Thanks!!

The Olde Primitive House said...

Hello,
Looks Yummy....do you deliver?? LOL!! Thanks for sharing this will be one that I try for SURE!!

Many Blessings and have a great night..............
Lori

Vickie said...

Hey, I will have to look for that corn flour so I can make this yummy soup. I love looking at the pictures of the snow and I won't be sharing this with my little one or you would be having one move in with you. He said if we don't get snow this year he is moving to the North Pole. lol He's 7 so it's been probably 3 maybe 4 years since we have had more than a flake or two. We are due and I would rather have a snow storm over an ice storm.

Take Care :)

Traci said...

YUMMY!!! I will certainly be making this soup! I saw on the news where a guy made an igloo and it only took him FIVE hours....I wonder if he lives near you. We have only had the cold....we are even in a burn ban.

Linda said...

I agree - you must have corn flour! Around here it is usually found in the Spanish food isle and is called Masa Flour or Cron Flour in big print, Sometimes Harina is so small you'd never see it. I use it to thicken my chili and other mexican foods. I am making me this soup tonight for sure!! I have all the ingrdeients and we are in a blizzard for the next 20 hours or so. Stay warm! hugs, Linda

vivian said...

I contemplated soup for today.. Your soup sounds so good! But, I think I'm doing more of a chicken fricasee type of thing over mashed taters.. though I'm not sure yet.. I need to find out if anyone is even going to be eating dinner here besides my husband and I. no one else lives here anymore, but my sons girlfriends birthday was yesterday and I think they're coming out today.. suppose I should call them so I can make some plans!
Have a sweet week! STay WARM!!!
hugs
vivian

Train Wreck said...

Oh that looks so good! We are having friends over for the big football game, this looks perfect. I love your SNow signature!! Lovely!

Carolyn (Harbor Hon) said...

Yum! That sounds great! I love soup and this one would be nice to warm me up.

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen snow that spread to the horizon like that. You've got the eye for taking a good picture. Hope you see some clearing soon. xxoo

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I LOVE soups! Sounds good too with the snow and wind we have had also. Our roads all blew back in again last night but the snow plow did just go by. Now we just need to finish up pushing it in the yard and at our hog site so the feed trucks can get in. Oh how I am looking forward to spring this year!

Jill said...

The chicken soup sounds delicious. I started to copy the recipe and noticed when you said chicken base there was no measurement. Also, is the chicken base a powder or a liquid? I am not sure I know what it is. Would it be possible for you to e-mail me with the answers? Thank you so much, I can't wait to make this soup. Have a great day.

Farmchick said...

Jill~ You asked me a couple of questions but I can't email you back because I can't get on your blog. It is blocked. Anyway, thanks for letting me know I didn't put the amount of base needed. It is 1/4 cup of base. You can get base in your boullion section of the grocery store. Mine is in an 8 oz container...it like bouillon but is not as dry..it is used to make broth and gravy ect... Hope that helps...if you have any other questions please leave me your email address. Thanks!

The Primitive Bucket said...

Well YUM!! That looks really good, I'll have to try it out for sure. It is windy here too, thank goodness we don't have all the snow you do. Keep your shovel handy chicky!!

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

The soup looks yummy. I will have to make this tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Irma

Kris said...

Greetings! Saw your blog from visiting Linda's at Behind My Red Door. Love it! Your enchilada soup looks oh so good. I shall try soon.
Loved your blog! I'll be back.
Kris

Hohni said...

We are also getting wind like never before. My car is having a hard time bucking drifts anymore. If it would warm up somewhat maybe I could get the engine compartment to unthaw and actually throw some heat into the car.

carolyn at cranberry crossings: said...

YUM! I love soups like this! In fact I love most anything with e Mexican flavor. I have never made torilla chips. How fun! I will have to give that a try.
Love your snow pics too.
Hope you have an awesome week!

AnnaSam said...

O.k I have everything but the flour so I am off to the store to give it a try! thanks for sharing! have a blessed day!Oh and by the way... I wish I could take some of that snow off of your hands!
Juanita

The Whites said...

Love that recipe and I've enjoyed browsing through your blog!

Stop by anytime!

Mandy

Angelena said...

Just found your blog today and had to try the breadsticks and pizza dip. My 3 sons and hubby loved it!!

Back in the Day said...

The soup sounds soooo yummy! My kids love going on your blog and looking at all of the snow! We are expecting some tonight so we will see!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

OOhhhh...looks delish!! Definitely going to try this!
How's it going up north where the snow blows?!?!?

Farmgirl Cyn said...

You're right! I think I have everything except the Masa Harina!
And we are all about soups this wicked winter!

~Tonya said...

It has been so cold here....some snow, not a lot. We made Chicken noodle soup, just Sunday and boy, was it yummy.

Your soup looks so yummy. Soup is so good for those cold days.

Thank you for stopping by. Have a great week.

Blessings,
~Tonya

Dalyn (AKA The Queen of Quite Alot) said...

Mmmmmm...that looks good- better than mine! I'll have to try it. Love your blog- I think we are similar, would be great neighbors!

Dalyn (AKA The Queen of Quite Alot) said...

Mmmmmm...that looks good- better than mine! I'll have to try it. Love your blog- I think we are similar, would be great neighbors!

Rising Rainbow said...

Wow, the soup looks nummy!

Marilyn said...

Hey, Bob Red Mill is just down the highway from me...good stuff huh?

Kay said...

oooo.... Chicken Enchilada Soup is my absolute favorite soup! And now I have a new recipe to try. I'm sorry it keeps snowing. Go make some snowballs to put in the freezer for snowcones this summer when it's 110° in the shade. :oD
Stay safe & warm.
HUGS!