Thursday, September 4, 2008

Our mini vacation and a yummy breakfast treat made in my Grandma's vintage pie plate!

Well, we made it back from our little trip on Monday afternoon. We had a great time and ended up catching our limit of walleye two days in a row! Everyone caught fish and we had a fantastic time. Two evenings of our trip we spent with some good old college friends and their children and had the most wonderful time. It is so nice to spend time with old friends---people that knew you wayyyyyy back then!!
With school going full force I think it is nice to cook our children a nice hot breakfast before they head off to school. This recipe for

ZESTY BRUNCH CASSEROLE

is quick and easy and can be made the night before
and stored in the refrigerator.

You will need the following items:

Pie plate

hashbrowns or pie crust

1 cup shredded cheese of your choice( I used low fat colby jack)

4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled

1/4 cup chopped onions

3 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup milk

3/4 salsa

salt and cracked pepper

I used hashbrowns in which I browned lightly in a pan before placing them in the pie plate. You can also use a pie crust and then this would be called a quiche! The hashbrowns are a little healthier though so that is what I used. Sprinkle cheese, bacon and onions onto hashbrowns. Set aside.


Whisk eggs, milk, salsa, salt and pepper together. Pour over hashbrowns. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Now sit down with your family and eat breakfast together before you send them off to school! I think it is so nice to spend those few minutes together and they get a healthy start to the day!Did you notice the pie plate??This is one of the pie plates that I got from my Grandma--who passed away September 9, 1994. I love using this pie plate and can't even imagine how many pies she made it this plate. Both my Grandma's were born on farms and married farmers. They enjoyed making their house a home and loved cooking big, from scratch meals and loved inviting people over to share these meals. My other Grandma is my only grandparent left and is a young 96 years old!

Zesty Brunch Casserole

that's what's for BREAKFAST

in Farmchick's Kitchen

tomorrow!!!

If you stopped by to visit please do me a

favor and leave me comment!

Farmchick

Pin It!

16 sweet chicks commented here:

vivian said...

Hello!! I was here! I've been terrible lately.. just skimming through here and there and not always leaving a message anywhere! I love this reciped for the brunch pie. I make something sort of similiar, only it has ham in it and green peppers, but no salsa. Havent made it in a long time. I just dont seem to be about cooking these days.. I think the term would be lazy.. or better yet, the truth is, there are other things I'd rather do. my poor family! well speaking of cooking, I'm off to the store to get some needed items to make a couple dishes for a party I have to go to tomorrow night.
hugs!!
vivian

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

looks good! Glad you had a nice weekend. Adjusting to school again...rrrrgh. Miss you. I've sent out my pay it forwards.

acutescrubnurse said...

My Mom has a pie plate just like that.....maybe a shade different in color, but close. It was her mothers. Perhaps that will be included in my inheritance?? Rodent will prob get it, as she would use it the most, huh?? Glad to see you updated. I will try to this weekend, kind of busy the next couple days.
Rch

Julie said...

YUMMM!! Thanks for the recipe. My grandmother was an incredible pie maker. I wish she were here to show me how. I was too young to care about pie making when she was alive. Have a great day. Julie

Juri said...

I stopped by and copied the recipe...it looks wonderful...and I thought I would just leave you a note to let you know! What a great blog you have...I will certainly be back!

Juri

Carolyn (Harbor Hon) said...

I will definitely be making this soon. It looks so yummy! Can't wait to smell this baking in the oven. Thanks for sharing it. Love that pie plate.

All of mine have the recipes printed inside the plate. Should have seen me trying to make the pie, crust in the plate and covering the recipe. That was too funny! xxoo

This Country Girl said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds so good! I am definitely trying that one...my son would absolutely love that! I have all the ingredients here too...no shopping required! Just the kind of recipe I like! Thanks for sharing this yummy looking recipe!

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog always! :)

Tammy

KATHY OF SWEETHOME GARDENS said...

Thanks for the recipe...I'll give it a try for our Sunday breakfast.
Kathy

carolyn at cranberry crossings: said...

Oh my! I love breakfast foods! Now my mouth is watering! Thanks for sharing these yummy recipes!
Have a great weekend!

Lisa said...

I love the the brunch recipe. I may have to try that sometime soon. I just won't tell the hubby there are onions in it. ha. I love the pie plate. And what I love more is your appreciation of it's use. I love to use things my family used way back when. It's kinda comforting.

Raggedy Angel said...

Hey, that sounds really good...I will have to give it a try!
Thanks! Beth

Carolyn (Harbor Hon) said...

Farmchick,
I put you on the front of this month's magazine cover. Check it out when you have some time. xxoo

Kristie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Wow you really have some great sounding recipes on here. I think I will try some of them!!!
Kristie

Tomatoe Creek Prims said...

I've been meaning to post to you, I can't believe how busy I've been and I even don't have little ones around all the time anymore:)
My mom had a pie plate exactly like that...thanks for the memories!
Rondell

Beth E. said...

Came across your blog on someone else's site. It's beautiful! You've done a great job with it. I'm a new blogger, and have a long way to go to learn all the tricks of the trade. Your recipes look really good. I love soups of all kinds. Gonna have to see if we have quick cooking barley around here...can't say that I've ever seen it, but then I've never looked for it, either! :o)

Elisha said...

Welcome back!! Your post sounds of a wonderful vacation trip.