Monday, September 8, 2008

National Farm Awareness month and Tex-Mex Pasta Skillet

I bet you didn't know that it is National Farm Awareness month! September is the time to remember America's Farmers and Ranchers! I know..that seems strange that I would say that since I AM a farmer...but I think it is important to do so...I just want people to be aware of all the hard work that goes into the wonderful food products that are provided to you because of our dedicated farmers and ranchers! I will be posting some other things through out September on that subject...but for now let me show you what's for supper tonight!!!
TEX-MEX PASTA SKILLET
4 cups pasta (any kind you like)
2 pounds chicken breast, cut into chunks
2 1/2 cups chunky salsa
2 cups frozen corn
1 garlic clove---pressed
1 large onion
1 large green peppper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup low fat shredded mexican style cheese
Cook pasta as directed.
I of course, used our Dakota Growers Pasta


ND grows some of the best durum wheat

which in turn is milled into seminola to make premium


pasta...right here in our wonderful state!

So, while your pasta is cooking.....

heat a large nonstick skillet with a

splash of CANOLA oil.

Add chicken and cook for a few minutes.

I brown mine nicely.

Add garlic with your press.

Add green peppers and onions.


Salt and pepper too.

I chopped the veggies in a big rustic cut.

After the a few minutes add the corn and the salsa. Cook until chicken is cooked through

and veggies are crisp tender.

Tex-Mex Pasta Skillet

that's what's for supper in

Farmchick's Kitchen

tonight!

Thanks for stopping by and

please remember to leave me

a comment so that I can return

the visit! Goodnight!


Pin It!

19 sweet chicks commented here:

Laurie said...

That sure looks good. No pasta for awhile for us though. I made a huge pot of chicken spaghetti Saturday; I figure in a week we'll be ready to try your recipe.

Susan said...

Looks good!

LINDA said...

Looks yummy!!!
Gonna try it...

Linda said...

Like teachers, nurses, fire fighters and law enforcement officers, I think farmers are too under-valued in our country unfortunately. Milk does not come from cartons and corn does not come in cans - and we need to remember that. So glad you pointed out what month it is. I appreciate our farmers!! (and thier chicks!)

carolyn at cranberry crossings: said...

Oh my goodness! What an awesome recipe! I love anything with a Mexican flair to it!

And you are so right! Every American should be so proud of the many farmers that work so hard to provide us all with their bounty. Farming is one of the hardest, most un-appreciated job in the world! That needs to change!

Train Wreck said...

YUM! I was just wondering what I would be fixing for dinner!! Voila! There you are with my dinner!hmmm...maybe I should wonder how I will pay my bills now!! LOL!!

HippieDog said...

Hi Farm doll, what would I do without you? You always give me the best ideas for dinner :)

Grammy said...

Just wanted to say thanks for being a farmer and sharing things on this blog.

Carolyn (Harbor Hon) said...

If it were not for the dedication of farmers we would not have the great things we eat everyday. I thank you all from my heart.

You are giving me some really good ideas for things to make that I have not tried before and I appreciate it very much. Thanks for sharing. xxoo

Carolyn (Harbor Hon) said...

Farmchick,
I would be honored to be listed in your blogroll. Thanks so much! xxoo

Prairie Chick said...

um...yum??!! :D I can tell we are kindred spirits after just a 30 second overview of your profile and homepage, ;D I have pics of my kids in the flax this summer, and everything here just downright reminds me of home! Thanks for piping up over at my place so I could mosey over and meet you! I'll be sure to pop in and keep up.

Tomatoe Creek Prims said...

What a wonderful recipe to try!
I think farmers are the greatest...whenever I pass a farm I always wonder how it would be to live on one.
Rondell

This Country Girl said...

You make all the kinds of dishes I love! Another great one! The other night I made your zesty brunch casserole and we loved it! I had to improvise a little with a couple of things, but it turned out great and yummy! Thanks!

Tammy

Merrie. said...

That looks so good; come on over and bring a pan; Ill make pie or cake; LOL; I added a couple more links for swaps in case you wanted to see more! I always remember farmers too because I live in the middle of a big farm and around here a traffic jam is when the tractors,combines etc get out on the road and three or four pickup trucks get stuck behind him! Or her! We do potatoes,beans (soy),wheat,sugar beets and corn in this area; that is what I know of; Im sure there's more. Mainly here the sugar beets get a lot of press; and they are so stinky; the factory is in town and whoooo! We also have an ethanol plant; they add the smell of baked bread to their stinky mess! I never knew about sugar beets until we moved here; I always tought all sugar came from Hawaii and was cane sugar; I tell you though the sugar beet trucks are dangerous; we have had a windshield get whacked good and broken by a flying sugar beet! And then a chestnut! We shop at the farmer's markets when they are open too; fresh goodies are the best; Murphy said he did not know you had a wheat field too; he's still mad cuz the farmers "stole" his lil ole field full of wheat; LOL; it's in an older post on my blog! See you later friend!

Lisa said...

I forwarded your blog to one of my co-workers. She's a farm gal too and I thought she would love you sight like I do. Actually, the conversation started about your recipes!

Lea of Farmhouse Blessings said...

Hello again! Thank you so much for the lovely care package. I LOVE your soy lip balm. I can't believe you actually make that yourself. I am hopelessly addicted!

I have not been online much these days but will be sure to post my "pass it on" announcement soon.

Farmers are just the most wonderful people. I've never met a more caring and sharing group of people. So many here, have opened their arms to us and help to teach us the ways of the land.

Blessings,
Lea

Juri said...

Oh boy, this sounds (and looks) great. I copied the recipe and will be trying it soon! Thank you for sharing it!

Juri

Back in the Day said...

Man oh man that looks good! You always make me so hungry! I am definately gonna try that!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Three words....YUMMY, YUMMY, YUMMY! I will definetely be trying this one!