Saturday, September 13, 2008

I'm BACK and Cowpoke Chili with Rustic Garlic Croutons

I'm here! I'm here! I have had several people ask me what happened to me! Just busy I guess! I am really trying to get back on a roll of blogging in a timely manner! Thanks to those who were worried about me!! :-))

It's a dreary day on the prairie so I decided to whip up a big old batch of
Cowpoke Chili with Rustic Croutons


1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound lean sausage
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed in your handy dandy garlic press
1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
2 cups V-8
1 can (15-1/2 ounces) chili beans
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Dash cayenne pepper
Dash Dean's Hot Sauce

In a large saucepan, cook the beef and sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the broth, V-8. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour at least!

Now...for the Rustic Croutons! They are so yummy if you like this sort of thing anyway! I know typically people pair chili with cornbread so if you want a good recipe for cornbread click here. Otherwise give the croutons a try! What I do is clean out my freezer and cut any old french bread, buns ect... then put them on a baking sheet and at a very low heat dry them out and then freeze! Simple.
Now to make the Rustic Garlic Croutons....add some croutons to a big mixing bowl.

In a small mixing bowl add one tablespoon Parkey Butter spray and one tablespoon olive oil. Take that handy dandy garlic press again and press two cloves of garlic into the oil mixutre, mix and drizzle over croutons. If you are saying to yourself 'well, I am going to use garlic powder instead of REAL FRESH GARLIC!" I say to you NO! NO! NO! It is not the same...fresh garlic is the best...try it...it's not that hard to use a press!! There, I am done with my garlic speech now! Mix gently and bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees...watch them so they don't burn and mix them around gently every few minutes!
Now when you have done all of this....ladle some savory Cowpoke chili into a bowl and sprinkle a few Rustic Croutons on top and enjoy!

Cowpoke Chili with Rustic Garlic Croutons...

that's what's for supper in
Farmchick's Kitchen
tonight!

Have a great day and remember: leave me a comment so I can return the visit!

Farmchick

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger acutescrubnurse said...

Thank goodness you are back!!! I was so worried...the chili looks super, as well as the croutons. I made lasagna today, so will will feast on that for the weekend. Chili later this week, maybe.
Talk to you soon,
Citychic

September 13, 2008 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger This Country Girl said...

The chili recipe looks great...believe I'll try that when it gets cooler around here...I can't think about chili now...it's so hot and muggy here!

I'm glad you're back! I've missed you! Have a great rest of the weekend!
Tammy

September 13, 2008 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

So glad to see you back! I love making croutons from old bread - the garlicy-ier the better! LOL

September 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

That sounds delish, honey. I make mine with the markdown pieces of steak in Albertsons, fry it in butter with about 2 onions and go from there. Makes the most fantastic chili ever. I use pasilla and new mexico chili and like you add the sugar to take away the bitterness of the chili powders although these 2 chili powders are not bitter like the kind we usually buy in the stores. Tooooo bitter for me. I like the sound of this recipe, sweet farm chick!!
Yummmmmmmm........
Smooches,
Connie

September 13, 2008 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger Carolyn (Harbor Hon) said...

Mmmm! That sounds yummy and very filling. Got to make all of it like this country girl said, when the weather gets cooler. Thanks for sharing. xxoo

September 13, 2008 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger LINDA said...

This Linda loves garlic croutons, too! We save all the ends and heels inthe freezer,too. Save for stuffing or croutons. Your chili recipe looks good. Maybe we'll have chili this week, too.....Thanks for the idea.

September 13, 2008 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Looks perfect and for the dreary, wet day we have today. This meal would warm me up! I love croutons and these look really good.

September 13, 2008 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger Back in the Day said...

I was wondering where you were! The recipe sounds yummy! I am gonna have to give it a whirl!

September 14, 2008 at 1:20 AM  
Blogger vivian said...

Your always inspire me to want to cook! Im sure my family appreciates that! cause really I dont ever really want to cook! but chili is sounding pretty darn good and yours looks delicious!
hugs
viv

September 14, 2008 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger Tomatoe Creek Prims said...

My husband would love this...I know I say this often in my comments but he really would.lol I'm just not a very good cook but Stush is thank goodness! Love to look and read the recipes though so keep up the great work...I always read them:)Love the idea for the croutons!
Have a wonderful Sunday

September 14, 2008 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

I was on here yesterday, I think...tried to leave a comment but stupid computer had a mind of it's own....

We are getting the cooler winds of IKE now....actually, feels GREAT here....just right...

The chili sounds yummy....I love homemade croutons too.

We are headed to another stockshow this weekend.....then we will only have one more after that...of course that will be LONG ONE....state fair.

Have a blessed Sunday!!!

September 14, 2008 at 12:19 PM  
Blogger Juri said...

This recipe sounds wonderful! I am definitely going to try it...thank you!

Juri

September 14, 2008 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger carolyn at cranberry crossings: said...

Always happy to see you!


I made chili on Friday with jalapeno cornbread. Yum! But I love croutons too, so I will definately use your recipe! Thanks! You have a great week, girlie!

September 14, 2008 at 3:10 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

MMM! That looks really good.

September 15, 2008 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I love chili and that looks so good--thanks for all the recipes. Have a great day. Julie

September 15, 2008 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Glad that your back.
Your chili sounds yummy.
I will have to try it one of these chilly days.
Have a great day.

September 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You have been posting some awesome recipes. My friend at work tried the pasta and loved it. I just can't do beans. I'm looking at your chili post and think, wow, just without the beans. Ha. So, I'll try the croutons. Homemade croutons are the bomb!!!!

September 15, 2008 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Beth E. said...

Oh, my...acutescrubnurse told me about your site just in the nick of time!!! (See my latest post for more about that.) Your chili looks delicious! Our family tries to adhere to a low-sodium diet...I'll probably use "low-sodium" or "no salt added" products when possible to try to reduce the sodium content. Do you think that will work well with your recipe?

Looking forward to reading your previous posts to get some great recipes.

Thank you!

September 16, 2008 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger Lea of Farmhouse Blessings said...

The weather is just right for chili! Looks delicious. I think I just drooled on my keyboard.

Always nice to hear from you.

Smiles,
Lea

September 17, 2008 at 1:34 AM  
Blogger Kristie said...

I am a sucker for good chili and love trying new recipes. I'm adding this to my list to try once the weather gets cooler here.
~Kristie

September 17, 2008 at 8:06 AM  
Blogger Kindra said...

That chili looks awesome!! Next week, I will have to try some new recipes from your blog. I already have this weeks menu planned and groceries bought.

Looks like you got that rainy weather like our Minnesota vacation weather. :) Now it's nice. Oh well. We still had a great time! I thought of you and acutescrubnurse while at Junk Bonanza. Maybe you 2 will have to take a road trip next year. :)

September 17, 2008 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Hmmm, never heard of croutons on chili...sounds good! I'll bet my farmer husband would think so too. My chili recipe is really similar to yours, except mine has a few more spices and a little bit of chocolate in it.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

September 21, 2008 at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home