Monday, August 18, 2008

Yummy heart healthy soup and an award!!

In honor of the fact that we FINALLY finished up with our BARLEY harvest (we still have wheat, flax and sunflowers to go) I decided to cook up a big, old pot of heart healthy

CHICKEN BARLEY CHILI.

Not only is barley a great source of fiber it

is also low fat with no saturated fat or cholesterol!!

1-14.5 oz Diced tomatoes

16 oz. Salsa

2 cups fat free chicken broth

1 cup quick cooking Barley

3 cups of water

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon cumin

1-15 oz. can northern beans

3 cups chicken breast diced

In a soup kettle combine the first 7 ingredients. Over high

heat bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer

20 minutes, stirring occassionally. Add beans and

chicken, increase heat to high until the chili

comes to a boil. Simmer for another few minutes

until the barley is tender. If desired, top with low fat

cheese and or sour cream. It tastes great just as is!! Chicken Barley Chili

that's what's for supper in

Farmchick's Kitchen

tonight!!!!

Carolyn at

Cranberry Crossings

gave me this award and I just love it!

Isn't it cute???!!!!!!!! If you haven't been to her blog you must go and visit her. She is one sweet lady -

she always has such kind comments. So, THANK YOU so much Carolyn..

I really appreciate the award and our new friendship!

I will place my award on my blog with pride!

Here are the rules for this award:

1. The winner can put the logo on her blog.

2. Link the person you received your award from.

3. Nominate at least 7 other blogs.

4. Put links of those blogs on yours.

5. Leave a message on the blogs of those you’ve nominated.

So, as you all know this is really hard to do.

I know many of you may not have the time to nominate others

for this award so I don't mind if you just grab the

award and place it on your blog. Whatever you feel

most comfortable with is great with me!

Well, that's it for tonight!

I would love to hear from you

if you stopped by to visit ! So,

leave a comment!!!! Bye!
Farmchick

Pin It!

8 sweet chicks commented here:

Kindra said...

That soup looks so good! It will be a perfect supper treat! Congrats on award! You deserve it!!

Tomatoe Creek Prims said...

Congrats Tania!
You so deserve it, thanks for the recipe, hubby loves soup in the cold months:)
*Rondell*

acutescrubnurse said...

love the soup. Looks great, can't wait to try it!!
I will have to try and figure out that award thing. Seems a bit over my head.
See you soon,
Rita

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Thanks for the award! I really like soup with barley in it!

carolyn at cranberry crossings: said...

Tania, you deserve the award! I love your blog!
The soup looks great! I am definately a soup person and enjoy making it as well as eating it! LOL!
Have a blessed day!

This Country Girl said...

That sounds good! You have the best recipes! I made a taco casserole that I think it was you that posted and it was yummy! My hubby ate on the leftovers off and on for days! :)

Congratulations on the award! I love visiting here!

Tammy

HippieDog said...

The soup looks wonderful! It's almost Monday night football season around here....I'll be making it very soon :) Hope you have a lovely week. ps....the cucumbers are such cute little devils! Almost ready to pick! No news on Mr. Squash....maybe it's something else for all I know! lol

pinetrees on the moor said...

The soup looks great i bet its nice on a cold and frosty day.Congrats on your award.Take care~Kate~