Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Pretty, pretty pink pickled watermelon!

If you didn't grow up with
PICKLED WATERMELON
This may sound a little strange
to you but is actually VERY good!
This is something I crave as soon
as the watermelons start showing up!
Today as I was walking through
my garden I noticed that
I had some dill that was
just waiting for me to
put it to good use!
PICKLED WATERMELON!
YES! YES! YES!
To make this you need a good
sized jar with a large mouth.
I always use a glass gallon
jar but a gallon ice
cream pail works great too!
The watermelon must stay
in the refrigerator so any
container with a cover
will work just fine.
First off, slice and cube
a watermelon.
Place the watermelon in
your container. Slice
6 cloves of garlic and
place it around
the pieces of watermelon
and also several heads of dill. I like quite a bit of
garlic and dill but it really
is your preference. Now,
add 4 tablespoons each
of salt, sugar and vinegar.
Shake some red pepper
flakes and cayenne pepper
into the jar. I don't measure
so just use what you
think you would like. Now
fill the jar to the top with
warm water. Put the cover
on the jar and gently
tip it upside down and
then right side up to
help distribute the
spices! That's it!
Now place it in the refrigerator
and try to wait patiently
for it to pickle to your
liking. You must take it
out at least once per
hour to test it!!! There
really is not a right or wrong
time to eat it.....it's all
in what you like!

WATERMELON PICKLES

That's what's for

snack in

Farmchick's Kitchen

today!

Thanks for stopping by!

Remember I love your

comments!

Farmchick

Afterthought:

These are not to be confused with

Pickled Watermelon Rind...

If you google it you will find

many recipes for the rind..

this is actually the pink part

of the watermelon. In my

opinion it is best after being

in the brine for 4 hours!

Pin It!

7 sweet chicks commented here:

Lisa said...

I have NEVER heard of this before. I'm really curious now!!!

Helz said...

A Little Strange... Oh Yeah !!! Never... Ever... come across this.

vivian said...

I dont know about this one... but If you say so.. i believe you that it is probably yummy.. but I must skip it! Even though it looks pretty! Ok.. whats next!? hehehe!
hugs
vivian

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Never grew up on it so I don't know if I would like it...not too fond of Watermelon in the first place, although your pictures make it look quite tasty.

Primgal55 - Linda said...

WOw - I grew up on sweet watermelon rind pickles so now I have to try this one. It sounds like something the Amish might make. YUM!

jessilynn said...

Yum! That is such a great idea and I bet it tastes great! We just had 5 watermelons one of the neighbor's brought us from their farm..too bad I didn't see this sooner.

Thanks for the recipe! Kristi

Lea of Farmhouse Blessings said...

You're kidding! I never heard of such a thing. But you know, I simply have to make some. I can hardly wait to try it.

Smiles,
Lea