Monday, July 21, 2008

A busy day and burgers!

Hello everyone! It was another one of those busy summer days. I have been working in my flower gardens and vegetable gardens. Things are finally growing nicely though I did have a few cut worms chop off a couple cucumber plants!! That makes me MAD!! Here on our farm we are doing MANY things. The farmer is preparing the combines for harvest. We will soon be combining barley! We are also getting things ready to take a few sheep to the STATE FAIR. Now, those of you that have shown livestock know that this process entails many, many details...big and small! It's gets to be a lot of work but I believe that it is really good for our kids. Having to do chores, taking care of animals helps them to learn responsibility and that's always a good thing...RIGHT???

Anyway moving on to the recipe for today!


OUTSIDE-IN CHEESEBURGERS I know this sounds confusing at first but just stay with me and I know you will get it! Does your family like cheeseburgers? Ours does but a lot of times I would run out to the grill and place the cheese on the burgers. Now, all the sudden a child comes rushing out and needs you NOW! So, you leave the grill, vowing that you will be right back to check on the melting cheese. Well for some odd reason.....you FORGET about the cheese. Finally you remember to check the burgers, you rush out to the grill, open the lid and what do you see??? ALL THE CHEESE HAS MELTED OFF OF THE BURGER and is hanging on the grill grate burning up! Well, that's what happens to me many times anyway! So, I have found that this is an easy way to have cheeseburgers WITH cheese!

What you will need:

1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef

1 packet lipton onion soup mix

cracked pepper

American cheese

Of course you can use your favorite burger recipe. I have several that I like but this one is quick and easy. Mix beef with soup mix and cracker pepper. Now you need to form very thin patties that are all as close to the same size as possible.

Place your favorite cheese on the top of a patty--then cover with anothe patty! Repeat! It will look like this. Now, this is very important make sure you pinch the edges of the two patties together to seal--or the cheese will drip out! (and we are trying to avoid this remember?) For some reason my picture of the sealed patty didn't turn out so please remember to do this!

Cook until juices run clear; place on a really yummy bun like this one. Add desired goodies and EAT! Isn't this one cute? I had a few cherry tomatoes that were ripe in my garden (which is early for our part of the US) so I used them! The kids thought it looked pretty cute! He looks as if he is saying "Come on...get over here and take a big ol' bite out of me!!"

OUTSIDE-IN CHEESE BURGERS

That's whats for supper in
Farmchick's Kitchen
tonight!


I have a few other versions of this burger that I make...
this was the quickest to do on a busy day!
One day I will show you another yummy one!
Thanks everyone for your sweet comments...keep them coming!
I LOVE reading each and everyone and so enjoy visiting you
on your blogs! Thanks again!

Farmchick





Pin It!

11 sweet chicks commented here:

acutescrubnurse said...

the burgers look great. will have to try them......I think we were both blogging at the same time tonight. Great minds think alike!! Have fun at the State Fair. Take good care of the sheep.
R

carolyn at cranberry crossings: said...

We do this too! It sure is a nice surprise to bite into that yummy melted cheese!

Sharon said...

I just happened to find your blog from Frazzledfarmwife. I really did enjoy reading and I loved the burger idea. I love cheeseburgers on the grill but never like to put the cheese on so that it melted off. Great idea.
your photos were great too. I have never seen a flax field. All around us is Corn and soy beans.

Sharon said...

Thanks for stopping by. I also like to meet new people.
We are in the Grand Island Area.
My husband has relatives in Lincoln also.
We were Gering several years ago on vacation, that is a very beautiful part of the state.I hope to travel back there someday but when gas prices go down.

Lisa said...

Wow, these look great. The hubby will flip for those!!

Come visit me I've tagged you!!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

The burgers look great!

We don't show livestock but the kids have always wanted to for 4-H. There is just so much work involved and so little time.

We are hoping to get our wheat harvested soon and have started on the 2nd cutting of alfalfa. Busy times here on the farm!!! How do you find the time to cook such awesome things??!!

Tomatoe Creek Prims said...

Stush is the cook around here, I'm going to tell him about this, it's a great idea. They sure look good!
*Rondell*

This Country Girl said...

Those burgers sound and look great! I like this idea! Thanks for that tip!

I finally got your blog saved to my favorites...sorry it took so long!

And your farm life sounds great!

Tammy

Lea of Farmhouse Blessings said...

Oh dear ~ I really should not have looked at those burger photos at this time of night! LOL

Best wishes with your sheep at the fair. I just love fairs and all the competitions. It is such fun to see all the lovelies that folks bring for the judging.

Smiles,
Lea

Katy said...

How absolutely YUMMY!!!!

Carolyn (Sea Mystery) said...

Now that's a cute burger. I will have to share this one with my sister and she can make it for her grandson. He'll love it! xxoo