Thursday, February 7, 2008

Farmchick's Chicken!

Hi everyone. Today I wanted to go with a more traditional recipe. A Roasted Chicken with all the fixin's truely reminds me of the meals both of my Grandma's would make. Everyone was always happy seated around the big farm table eating roasted chicken! This chicken is so tender, moist, flavorful and most of all SIMPLE! All you need is the chicken of course and a few other ingredients.
----------
1 roasting chicken
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 garlice cloves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme
----------
Wash the chicken thoughly and make sure all the feathers are out! (eek) Make sure to clean out the cavity also. Pat dry with paper towels. In a small dish add all the ingredients listed and mix together. Set aside. Now, it is time to work with the chicken again. Carefully, run your fingers between the skin and the meat. Lift all of the skin off the chicken -- try to do this without tearing the skin. You can even do the drumsticks but you have to do it carefully!The picture is rather blurry but you can see how I have the skin pulled away from the breast. I had to pull the skin up with one hand and snap the picture with the other! I guess I need more practice with one-handed picture taking! Now, take your spice/oil mixture and gently rub all of the meat (not the skin) with the mixture. Rub any leftover mixture in the cavity. When you are done pat the skin back down onto the meat. Sprinkle some salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary on the skin and roast! Simple. By adding the seasoning and oil to the meat you get a very succulent and tasty meat. You don't have to eat the skin to get great flavor. You can still eat the skin of course but you don't have to.
Now let's talk about the temp of the oven. Make sure you preheat your oven to 350 degrees before. Place the chicken in the oven. A general rule of thumb for roasting chicken is as follows: 20 minutes per pound of meat plus an additional 10-20 minutes. I turn up my oven to 450 degrees the last 10 minutes if the skin is not as brown as I like. How do I know if it is done: If you do not have a meat thermometer than you simply move the drumstick back and forth. It should move freely. Also, the juices should run clear when you jab a skewer into the leg. Once the chicken is roasted properly, take it out of the oven. Do not carve the chicken for 15-20 minutes. You need to let it rest to allow the juices to settle. Once you have let it rest, carve the chicken, place the meat on a platter, carry it to the table and listen as your family ooos and ahhs over the scrumptious looking chicken! And that's what's for supper in Farmchick's kitchen.
Good day! By the way, I love comments so please feel free to do so!
Farmchick

Pin It!

1 sweet chicks commented here:

jpwillett said...

Ooh...I was looking for a chicken recipe to make for my husband...he is a plain and simple guy.

I wonder if this would work with chicken pieces? I bought a chicken today, but I had the butcher cut it into pieces.