Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Shredded Beef Enchiladas, Oh my!


Hello everyone. A big thank you to all that have left comments and encouraging words on my new blog site. I really appreciate it. Tonight I am making Shredded Beef Enchiladas. I LOVE just about anything made with shredded beef. It has to be lean though or else I don't like it!
Here is what we need to get going on this yummy dish.
---------
3 to 3 1/4-pound boneless beef chuck shoulder or bottom round roast
1 medium onion, quartered
3 whole cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Chipolte seasoning
3/4 cup beef broth.
Chile sauce or Enchilada sauce
Cheddar Cheese
Sour Cream
Guacomole
Tortillas
--------
In slow cooker, place onion, chilies and garlic;
Add beef broth.
Sprinkle beef with salt, pepper and chipolte seasoning. Pat on to cover both sides.
Cover and cook on low 9 to 9 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
---------
Remove beef from cooking liquid; cool slightly. Meanwhile, strain cooking liquid; skim off fat. Set aside. Trim and discard excess fat from cooked beef. Shred beef with 2 forks
Skim fat from the cooking liquid. Pour into sauce pan. Taste...does it need more salt, more pepper, more spice? Add to your taste. Add 1/4 cup or more (to taste) red chile sauce or enchilada sauce to the liquid and stir well. Add a little of the sauce to the shredded meat. Just to moisten it a little more. (not too juicey though) Now, add 1 tablespoon of light sour cream to the remaining sauce. Stir well.
--------
I chose to make flour tortillas tonight but I also love corn tortillas.

Heat tortillas - place a damp towel over them and warm them in the microwave.
Place about 1/3 cup of meat down the center of the tortilla and roll up. Repeat.
Place Enchiladas in a pan sprayed with Pam.
Lightly spread the sour cream sauce over the tortillas. I only add enough to ensure that the tortillas do not dry out when they are baking. Place a small line of cheese on the tortilla and bake until cheese is melted. 350 degree oven.
--------
If you use a lean cut of beef, light sour cream and low fat cheese these enchiladas can be pretty healthy. Serve with sour cream quacomole and lots of lettuce.....and that's what's for dinner in farmchick's kitchen tonight!

Tomorrow I will show you how I made the flour tortillas used tonight!

Stay warm,
Farmchick

Pin It!

2 sweet chicks commented here:

Anne F. said...

My friend I have had so much fun trying your receipes. I made the chicken and rice one for my family yesterday and they loved it. the potatoes have been a favorite in my family for awhile so now I am gonna make them again. I want to try your chicken parmesan this weekend. Thank you for all these receipes you make my family happy.

Farmchick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.