Friday, January 25, 2008

Now THAT'S a wrap!



The recipe I would like to post today BBQ Chicken-Slaw Wrap. It sounds a little strange and one might even think it doesn't sound good but with the two flavors of the BBQ sauce and slaw sauce mingled together...it is actually very good! Just try it. This recipe can be as easy or as difficult as you would like to make it. You can use bottled sauces or make your own. I like to make my own. It's all up to you and how much time you have. Check your pantry and refrigerator for these items.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 cups Shredded chicken
2 cups BBQ sauce ( I will post a recipe following this if you want to make your own)
Flour tortillas (I used wheat & no I am not a healthnut--I just try to use healthy things if possible! Plus, we grow wheat here on our farm)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 cups Coleslaw ( I buy the bagged slaw)
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup mayo
2 Tablespoons chopped green onion tops
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Teaspoon honey
1/4 Teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 Teaspoon cajun or any other spicy seasoning (to your taste)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe will make about 4 wraps so for my family I double it. Once again, I will do my best to post measurements. I just do not measure normally!


~Combine all the ingredients for the slaw. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. Now wasn't that easy!?!

~In a large bowl combine the meat and barbecue sauce. In case you don't know...the meat must have been cooked prior to this! This recipe is great with leftover chicken or even pork. Anyway, back to the chicken and bbq sauce. Just mix until all the meat is coated nicely.

~Cover the meat mixture and warm in the microwave until warmed through.


Now put your tortilla shells on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. This prevents them from drying out. Microwave the shells until they are warm enough to roll without breaking. 30 seconds or so.

~Place one tortilla on a plate and spread 1/2 cup of the meat mixture down the center. Top with 1/4 cup of the your slaw and roll up tightly.

~Repeat!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now if you want to make your own sauce--here is a quick recipe.

BBQ Sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
4 Tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 Teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon spicy seasoning of your choice
just a dash of smoke salt
----------------
Combine and you are done! I think you will love the taste................now THAT'S A WRAP!


The picture doesn't do the wrap justice! I usually use the little toothpicks with the colorful ends but I do not have any so I used the umbrella instead! They make them look a little more festive and kids love that!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is a quote that I love and would like to share it with you. It fits my mood today.

"Winter is the time for comfort, for good food
and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand
and for a talk beside the fire;
it is the time for home."


~Edith Sitwell


Enjoy!


Farmchick




Pin It!

2 sweet chicks commented here:

acutescrubnurse said...

Another awesome recipe. Can I get your recipe for the tortillas too?? as I am sure you make them with your wheat, right?? I am going to try the soup tomorrow maybe. My mother has a ton of wild rice, so I spose I will have to make her some too.
keep the recipes coming.
Rita

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

The soup was wonderful. I still have some left for leftovers today! Can't wait to try this yummy!