Thursday, January 24, 2008

Farmer Fillin' recipe!

This recipe for Creamy Wild Rice Soup is comfort food to the max! It is just right for the cold weather that has set in. My farmer loves this soup. If you need a new hearty meal for your farmer or anyone who just enjoys good food than quick...check your pantry for these items needed for the recipe.

wild rice
onion
carrots
butter
chicken broth
chicken breast
potatoes
flour
fat free half and half (so it's a little more figure friendly)
salt
pepper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cook your rice according to the instructions. Also, you need to cook the chicken breast to perfection and then dice up. In a large saucepan, cook the onion and carrots in butter until soft. Stir in the broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer until potatoes are tender.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now go check on your rice. Drain it if it has any extra water left in the kettle. Fluff it up real pretty now. Stir your rice and chicken into the potato mixture and then heat it up good and warm. In a small bowl, combine the half & half with the flour. Make sure it is nice and smooth without lumps. Now, you can use cream if you like, I found that the ff half and half made it very creamy but if you are too skinny and want a few extra calories...by all means use cream! Slowly add it to your soup. Bring it to a boil--stir until soup is thickened. Make sure that you do not have the heat too high as your soup will stick to the bottom of the kettle and burn. Take if from me......burnt soup does not taste good! Now, ladle some of this thick, creamy soup into bowls and set it down before your loving family. Smile graciously as they compliment you on your delicious supper.
Watch them smile as they slurp it down.....go ahead and eat yours now. ENJOY!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, when I cook I usually do not use a recipe or measure things. Here is the recipe for you to follow. You can always use less or more of most things...however you like it.
2/3 cup wild rice
2/3 cup onion
2/3cup carrot
2 tablespoons butter
6 cups chicken broth
2 medium potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use kosher salt for cooking)
1/2 teaspoon pepper (I use a pepper grinder--I love the flavor)
3 cups or more of cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup flour
1 cup fat-free half-and-half

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pin It!

7 sweet chicks commented here:

acutescrubnurse said...

awesome recipe!! I will have to try it this weekend. I'm in the need for comfort food.
See you tomorrow!!!!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

This sounds wonderfu1 I'm printing it off so I have the list next time I shop. Keep up the good work!

Anne F. said...

Hi there, I am a friend of ele's and she told me about your site. Oh my the receipe sounds wonderful and I think I may try it on Sunday for my crew here. I will be checking in again as everything is looking so nice. Welcome and nice to meet you. Come see my blog sometime and leave a comment. Again nice to meet you.

Connie said...

If you're Ele's friend you must be special!! Love that recipe. I think I'll make some next week.
Connie

Amy at Bunny Rose Cottage said...

Hi! I was referred by my dear friend Ele to your blog! OH my gosh that soup sounds so good!!! I have a big family of seven and a nice big pot of this on these cold winter days sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing, I am always looking for new soup recipes as I love it so! I will be back :)

Hugs,
Amy

celestina marie said...

WOW! Sure enjoyed my visit and your soup recipe is one I will certainly try. I am also a friend of Ele's and so glad she let us know about your blog. So nice to meet you and welcome to the community!
Celestina
La Rea Rose

Bertie said...

Hi, Our mutual friend Ele told me about your site. That soup sounds wonderful and I hope you don't mind if I copy your recipe so I can make it next week. I also don't usually cook by the recipe after the first time and love fresh ground pepper. I'll be back!

Bertie
Aunt May's Cottage